This is my second iteration of the ‘Sporty Sweater’. In the basement we have noticed an issue with some sweaters (including my other two) and that is – the armhole is too small for getting the sweater on/taking off easily as well as underarm comfort.
One of sweater mavens in the basement offered this suggestion which I tried in the pictured sweater. Instead of crocheting the sleeves separately and then sewing into the armholes, sew the shoulder seams and side seams leaving at least 7“for the armhole. Then pick up stitches around the armhole and crochet the sleeve in the round. I did this picking up 54 stitches (instead of the 35 on the separately crocheted sleeve). I then decreased two stitches every other row (on either side of the would-be underarm seam) until 35 stitches remained; then I decreased one stitch every other row until 30 remained (as per the pattern). I crocheted to the required sleeve length and continued on to the cuff. (Unfortunately I ran out of yarn and had to improvise.) I added 2” to the body for better coverage and more rows to the ribbing to better keep out the cold. The end result – 4 less seams to sew, a gusset-like armhole with lots of room and way more fun to make.