So in the middle of last week I finished the last square for the blanket, but blocking & finishing was going to have to wait for the weekend. I celebrated by using the leftover yarn to make a hat in my favorite style (not sure why it put the image in sideways like that).
I also made another pair of those mittens with chunky yarn, although this yarn (Araucania Nature Wool) was less chunky than the first pair, so I was able to use a smaller hook and tighten up the gauge. I wanted to decorate the cuff, but had no more matching yarn so I threw on some popcorns in a contrasting color.
And then we come to the blanket...
I had started this when the CURE campaign was announced. When the Youth campaign came along, I decided to make more squares to size it up. Originally planned for 4x5 squares (each 9"), I had just enough yarn to go to 5x6 squares, which we put me at the top end of the measurements. Although I joined the squares tightly, after sewing together the first row of 5 I discovered that I was a couple inches over the limit. So I decided to downsize back to 4x5, and add a really wide border :). I was deliriously happy when I was able to find another skein of Paton's Classic Merino at Michaels in the right color to do that. So here it is:
Now I have 10 squares left over and decided that if I added rows I could make them 12" square, do a 3x3 square baby afghans with another really wide border to get to 40" square for CURE. Not done with that yet, but will be by end of week. So I get a baby blanket and a youth blanket. Can't feel better than that!
Sent by USPS Priority Mail this morning, should arrive Wednesday.
UPDATE: I forgot to credit the source for the square design -- I was inspired by a square in this Leisure Arts booklet.